Sunday, December 23, 2007

Welcome

Hello and welcome to Myth of Leisure. I've started this blog to discuss music I'm into. I know, there are already a bunch of other blogs that discuss the music I'm into, but I'm throwing my hat in anyway. A quick bit about me: I'm a 27 year old college student in the deep south. I recently moved back in with my parents to save money to move to the west coast. I am an admitted vinyl fetishist, which i know is a bit of a hipster handicap in this CD/tape age but the heart wants what it wants I guess, and my heart wants vinyl. Lots of it. I don't get to buy music as often as I'd like since I'm a workophobic, but I do okay for having no real income to speak of. The most important thing you should know about me is that I'm NOT a "music writer". I have no experience with or knowledge of the dos and don'ts of music criticism, and I don't really care to learn them. Nor do I have a desire to analyze music from an "artistic" standpoint. I have no credible background or real knowledge of "avant garde" music in general, or of the "language of music" or whatever. Instead I came to where I am now through my interest in punk, bedroom recordings, and of course, Sonic Youth. Generally I hate "critics" as such and am much more enamored with people who write about music because they love it and not because it's their job. That is why I am here. To get started I'll discuss some of my favorite records of the past year. Hope you enjoy the words.

No comments: